About This Role:
Preserving Historic Building for Community Use involves designing and repurposing a 100-year-old building in downtown St. Francis. The building offers the interns an opportunity to work with over 5,000 square feet of potential by designing a public meeting space, a commercial kitchen, an art gallery showcase, and an outdoor open area on the west side of the building. The complete submission at the end of the internship should provide a clear depiction of transforming this historical building into a multi-use venue to serve the local community in various ways. The interns will have mentors skilled in renovation contracting, interior design, and gifted education.
For more information about the position contact Janet Carman, President, Cheyenne Center for Creativity (CC4C), 785-332-4950, email@example.com or Nadine Sigle, Community Vitality Extension Specialist, 785-346-6256, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about K-State Research and Extension, visit: www.ksre.k-state.edu
May 28, 2019 thru August 2, 2019 or as negotiated with K-State Research & Extension
St. Francis, KS
- Complete a field verification of the Danielson Building and document existing conditions in Revit or AutoCad.
- Create schematic designs – 2D or 3D renderings that follow historic preservation principals and include concept imagery, initial space plan, entry elevation concept, and exterior/interior concepts, and the outdoor space.
- Conduct an initial visioning session with selected community members.
- Research regulations for a commercial kitchen.
- Research costs of implementing the final proposed design.
- Provide oral and written reports to the Cheyenne County Economic Development Corporation, the Cheyenne County Commissioners, St. Francis City Council, Cheyenne County Community
- Foundation and the Cheyenne County Historical Society.
- Share schematic designs with community members through a presentation.
- Community service or volunteering with a community organization is highly encouraged. This would be outside of the designated scope of work and working hours.
- Participate in any professional staff development that may be available.Complete other responsibilities as assigned by mentoring supervisors
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned by mentoring supervisors
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- Completion of at least six university semesters at any college or university.
- Students enrolled in architecture, regional and community planning or interior design are encouraged to apply.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals, groups, and through mass media and social media.
- Self-motivation and ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Experience working with individuals, groups, and co-workers to accomplish individual and/or group goals, as evidenced by previous leadership roles.
- Students from NW Kansas are preferred.
- Interest in commercial multi-use spaces with an emphasis in historic preservation is preferred.
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment
- This position will require travel connected with official duties, including attendance at evening meetings, access to a personal vehicle, car insurance, and a valid driver’s license upon employment. Interns will be required to provide their own computer with software such as Revit, AutoCad, Photoshop, InDesign and Sketchup.
Salary & Benefits:
$20.00 per hour. 40 hours per week. Maximum 400 hours
Housing will be provided through the Cheyenne Center for Creativity.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter (detailing experiences related to responsibilities and qualifications)
- Three professional references
Screening of Applications:
Applications will be accepted until January 31, 2019 or until position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670035130 Ag Natural Res & Comm Vitality
Job no: 505227
Work type: Internship
Categories: Architecture / Construction
Advertised: 30 Nov 2018 Central Standard Time Central Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled