Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Background Check Statement:
Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University’s receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.
Eligibility for Employment:
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.
• Master’s degree in counseling, higher education, or related field, MBA, or Bachelor’s degree with equivalent work experience in recruiting/higher ed. • 3 years of experience in recruiting, human resources or equivalent experience. • Experience in and an understanding of career services in a collegiate environment. • Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, alumni and employers. • Demonstrated ability to effectively and fairly supervise staff, delegate tasks, meet deadlines, and provide outstanding customer service. • Experience with marketing, branding, and/or communications. • Commitment to student success and to diversity in an educational setting. • Willingness and ability to work some irregular, flexible hours including evening and weekend hours. • Strong technology skills
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Associate Director is a newly created position that reflects the importance of employer relations as a core function of the Career Development Center and the University to increase and expand our employer base. This position will report to the Director of Career Development and Economic Engagement, and will be a member of the leadership team. The successful candidate must be able to work in a team oriented, collegial environment. The Associate Director provides leadership, vision, and supervision for the Employer Relations Team including overseeing a comprehensive marketing strategy for branding, communication, and promotions. The Associate Director will understand market trends and demonstrate the ability to develop strategies to improve and expand employer engagement opportunities for the campus community.
This position is responsible for :
1) Developing strategy to identify and develop strong alliances with alumni, donors, corporate recruiters, faculty, staff and current students to cultivate and expand existing relationships with business, industry, non- profit and governmental agencies;
2) Overseeing a comprehensive marketing strategy for the Career Development Center including branding, communication, and promotions to: a. increase the visibility of Appalachian State University to employers and maximize on-campus visits, employer partnerships, job postings, internships, recruiting, and internship and employment offers; and, b. increase student engagement in Career Development Center programs, events, and services.
3) Leading the execution of large-scale campus-wide career events;
4) Collaborating with campus partners including Academic and Student Affairs departments, University Advancement, and Alumni Affairs to integrate employers into student programming and academic offerings;
5) Managing daily program operations including supervision of the Employer Relations staff (Assistant Director for Employer Relations and Development, Recruiting Services Manager, Part-time Marketing and Event Specialist, and student employees), develop Employer Relations and Marketing policies and procedures, conduct on-going program assessment and evaluation, and provide budget oversight for Employer Relations.
• 5 years related professional experience in a career services operation, directly related to employer relations, on-campus recruiting, human resources or marketing, or within a recruiting or business development function. • Exceptional knowledge of employer relations, job placement and internship management, job search and career advising. • Strong technology skills with experience using a career management system, or other CRM/CSM, specifically Handshake. • Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills appropriate for small and large audiences, including businesses, not-for-profit organizations, professional associations, community organizations and the general public. • Track record of building relationships to establish strong networks of employers, alumni, faculty, parents, colleagues and students. • Demonstrated success with marketing, branding, and/or communications including a working knowledge of graphic design elements and social media platforms. • Skills in strategic planning and data analysis, supporting an ability to make complex, independent decisions and programmatic recommendations. • Ability to leverage employment data to support messages to external and on- campus constituents.
Type of Position: Full Time Position
Work Schedule/Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 to 5 with some evening, travel is required
Department: Career Development - 305000