Open Date 01/30/2018
Requisition Number PRN07671N
Job Title Graphic Artist
Working Title Student Intern - Graphic Design
Job Grade C
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code?
Type Non Benefited Staff / Student
Standard Hours per Week 15
Full Time or Part Time? Part Time
Work Schedule Summary
15 hours +/- per week. Flexible hours, will take class schedule into consideration.
Is this a work study job? No
VP Area President
Department 00326 - Alumni Association
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 12.02 to 17.00
As an up-and-coming graphic artist, you understand the importance of dynamic and effective visual design. You also understand the importance of social media in communicating and engaging with an audience. We’re offering you the opportunity to further develop your creative talent with a paid internship at the Alumni Association, which is dedicated to forging and preserving lifelong relationships with alumni, students and the community. (Depending on the skill sets of candidates, this may be two individual internships: one in graphic design and one in social media.)
• Create graphics for print and web, including: logos, posters, flyers, branded promotional items, brochures, programs, T-shirts, direct mail pieces, social media graphics and other marketing materials
• Interpret and transform concepts and ideas developed by our staff into descriptive visual and graphic materials in varying formats
• Collaborate with our communications team on developing and fine-tuning emails and web copy
• Work closely with our senior graphic designer and director of marketing to develop marketing materials to promote our programs, fundraising efforts and numerous events
• Help set and achieve theUUAAgoals for social media engagement
• Plan and publish posts for Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter – including writing captions, creating graphics and taking photos and videos
• Propose strategies and campaigns
• Track analytics and compiling reports
• Meet amazing U of U alumni and help tell their stories
• This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Associate’s degree in a related area or equivalency (2 years related work experience may be substituted for 1 year of education) required. Two years professional graphics experience (or equivalency) and demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills required. Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or Illustration or a related field preferred.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or Illustration or a related field preferred, but not necessary
• Moderate to extensive experience using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign; some experience with Adobe Premiere would be helpful
• Demonstrable skills and history with social media, particularly Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
• Knowledge of computer software, including Word and Excel
• Effective organizational and communication skills
• Outstanding people skills and experience collaborating and working with a team
Special Instructions Summary
Please bring samples from your portfolio.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to applicants, consistent with University policy and Utah state law. To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801) 581-7447.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.