About the City of Renton:
The City of Renton embraces a diverse and inclusive workforce and prides itself on promoting collaboration and teamwork in a positive environment while providing high quality services to the community. With a population of 102,700 (2017), Renton is located on the southeast shore of Lake Washington, just south of Seattle. Renton's strong economic base, diverse marketplace and favorable business climate have attracted the attention of nationally recognized companies that are providing employees and their families an outstanding quality of life.
Please note: This position is open until filled with a first review on June 21st.
The City of Renton's Public Affairs department is recruiting for a Communications/Social Media Intern. The ideal candidate will be inquisitive, a self-starter, detail-oriented, and have impeccable follow through. We are also looking for someone that can provide a high level of customer service to other City departments as you will be supporting, and interacting, with internal customers on various projects. This is a great opportunity that will provide practical work experience in public affairs, communications, social media, graphic design, multi-media, and community outreach.
This part-time internship will be approximately 15 hours per week and is a temporary position that is anticipated to begin September 4, 2018 and end June 30, 2019.
Reports To: Communications Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with City divisions to develop marketing and communications plans that leverage the social media space.
- Provide new and innovative ideas on how to grow the City's online presence.
- Plan, write and schedule social media content.
- Develop a big picture of content across owned and earned social channels, including posts, tweets, status updates, pins, photos, videos, etc.
- On a daily basis write, edit, proofread, and approve content posted on the City's social media channels and website.
- Create, monitor, and grow the City's presence across social media channels, such as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Nextdoor, YouTube, etc.
- Explore the use of other social media channels including Pinterest, LinkedIn, and other developing platforms.
- Create and monitor measurement tools to provide progress reports. Identify ways to improve on the metrics through testing and new initiatives.
- Monitor comments, postings, and feedback on the City's social media sites and coordinate with appropriate city staff to craft responses to comments when needed.
- Use social media to promote citizen engagement.
- Use social media channels as an effective communications, community engagement, and monitoring tool during emergencies.
- Assist with researching, writing, editing, and delivering communications tactics through the appropriate City communications channels.
- Assist with internal communication initiatives.
- Assist Communications Specialist with graphic design projects using InDesign and Photoshop.
- Take photographs and video at events and meetings on occasion.
- Assist with web postings and updates.
- Assist with community outreach efforts to support the City's goal of building an inclusive city.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple assignments and adhere to deadlines.
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, or related field; or recent college graduate (within 6 months) with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in those disciplines.
- Experience creating social media campaigns for an organization and/or individual.
- Experience using photo and video editing software.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Creative Cloud, and various social media applications.
- Previous communications related internship experience a plus.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Successful passing of a required background check.
- Ensure effective, professional, and respectful interactions with customers.
- Maintain positive and open communication with coworkers and management.
- Understand and follow direction given.
- Create compelling daily social media content.
- Meet schedules and deadlines.
- Demonstrate appropriate judgment when solving problems and making decisions.
- Maintain regular, punctual attendance and professional appearance.
- Work evenings and/or weekends as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The following represent the physical demands that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Work is primarily performed in an office environment.
- Constantly operate a computer and other office equipment.
- Frequent communication with City employees and customers.
- Lift or move items weighing up to 20 pounds on occasion.
- Noise level in the office is moderately quiet.
- May attend City events and functions that take place on weekends and/or after hours.
Approved reasonable accommodation requests will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Selection Procedure: **
Please note, the City of Renton will be screening applications without personal identifiers, such as name and address, visible. For that reason, you will not have the ability to attach any documents to your application, including a cover letter or resume. Please make sure to submit a complete, detailed, and updated job application.
Communication from the City of Renton:
We communicate mostly by e-mail for much of our recruitment and hiring processes. Emails from rentonwa.gov and/or governmentjobs.com should be placed on your safe domain list to ensure you receive notifications in a timely manner. As a precaution, you may also want to check your junk e-mail folders.
Salary: $15.00 Hourly
Location: 1055 South Grady Way Renton WA 98057, WA
Job Type: Intern
Department: Executive - Public Affairs
Job Number: 2018 COMM SMI
Agency: City of Renton
Address: 1055 South Grady Way Renton, Washington, 98057