Summer Associates Program – Public Relations Internship
Note: In order for your application to be considered, please ensure that you attach all ‘Required Documents to Upload at Time of Application’ noted below.
Are you ready to learn from the best? Does the idea of being a part of Life Changing Medicine inspire you? Are you looking for an opportunity to put into practice the theories you’ve learned? If so, the UPMC Summer Associates Program might be the perfect way to spend your Summer of 2019!
Here at UPMC, we pride ourselves on developing young talent and providing you an opportunity to learn from the best of the best. We want to invest in the future leaders of our organization… you!
About the Program
The UPMC Public Relations Summer Associates Program is an 11-week, paid internship. UPMC Public Relations recruits inquisitive, energetic, personable people who are eager to learn, have a robust curiosity, and are creative writers. The team provides the source of truth for all UPMC news and information – for both external media and internal stakeholders. Within our Public Relations space, we have opportunities within Media Relations and Internal Communications:
• The Media Relations arm produces press releases, media advisories, social media (Twitter) posts, and blogposts to promote the work of our physicians, staff, and researchers, as well as the organization’s business. These communications are often picked up by local, regional, and national media, helping to spread the positive news about UPMC far and wide. For that reason, Media Relations staff must be able to form meaningful and sustainable relationships with journalists, reporters, UPMC leadership, doctors, and patients.
• On the Internal Communications side, the team is responsible for communicating to the 85,000 employees who comprise UPMC. That means that our communication professionals need to understand sometimes complicated issues and processes/procedures and then communicate them in a way that is understandable, interesting, and actionable. This requires a deep understanding of how to influence behaviors, as well as how to work closely with leaders and decisionmakers in the organization. As the official voice of UPMC, the Public Relations team prides itself on excellence. Our work directly reflects on the reputation of UPMC, and we aim to keep that reputation stellar.
During your internship program, you will have the opportunity to network with UPMC Executives, give back to the Pittsburgh Community through Summer Associate service events, receive mentorship, enhance your skills with hands-on real-world experience and training, and most importantly, work on projects that make an impact on patient care while gaining knowledge on how we provide Life Changing Medicine. And have a little bit of fun too!
Come spend your Summer with us!
We’re Looking for Students Who…
• Are passionate and determined to make a difference. No mediocracy allowed.
• Want to challenge the standard and create new ways of thinking and executing.
• Can’t wait to see what the next challenge will be. Every day will be different and that excites you.
• Believe in our Core Values. They are not just written on the walls. We demonstrate our commitment to these values daily.
• Have emerging leadership abilities, excellent communication and analytical skills plus thrive in a collaborative environment.
• Care about the work they do, the people we work with and the patients we work for.
• Pride themselves on their integrity. It’s not just about the work we do, but how we do it.
• Current Junior or Senior pursuing a Bachelor’s degree with a target graduation date between December 2018 and August 2020 required
• Preference will be given to candidates with excellent written/oral communication skills
• Availability to participate in the Summer Associates Program full-time from June to August 2019 for approximately 11 weeks with minimal absence (Yes, don’t worry, you can still enjoy some summer vacation time!)
Required Documents to Upload at Time of Application
• Transcripts (unofficial or official transcripts are accepted)
Recruitment Timeline Expectations*
• August 1st – November 1st: Application Open
• Early August – Early November: Video Interviews Conducted
• Mid-November – Early December: Notification of Selection for Final Interviews & In-Person Final Interviews Conducted
*Subject to change.
**Please ensure that you check your email address used during the application process for any application status updates.
Interested in Learning More? Check Out the Following Sites:
• UPMC Student Opportunities Site: http://careers.upmc.com/pages/students
• Summer Associates Program Blog: http://mycareer.upmc.com/category/student/summer-associates/
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances: As Required
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer.
Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.