42625 The Institute Of Politics
About the Unit
About the Institute of Politics Created in 2013 by University of Chicago alumnus David Axelrod (AB’76), the mission of the Institute of Politics (IOP) is to ignite in University of Chicago students a passion for politics, public service and civic engagement and to provide a forum for the debate and discussion of public issues. By bringing practitioners from the public arena to campus, and providing extracurricular opportunities in politics, policy, government and journalism, the non-partisan Institute seeks to open pathways for engagement and leadership to students across campus. There are four primary programmatic components of the Institute:
The Fellows Program presents an opportunity for political practitioners, policy makers, journalists, and others engaged in politics, to be in residence at the University of Chicago for an academic quarter.
The IOP sponsors a robust, paid internship program for undergraduate and graduate students, placing them in high-level settings overseas, in Washington, D.C. and at the state and local levels.
The IOP’s Civic Engagement programs provide pathways for students to take an active role in shaping politics and policy in their communities, via three main pillars: 1) Leadership Development Programs; 2) Student-Led Civic Engagement Projects; and 3) Political Exploration Trips.
The Speaker Series hosts nationally and internationally recognized speakers on a wide variety of issues related to the mission of the IOP, with more than 1,000 speakers coming to campus from across the political spectrum, a testament to the IOP’s non-partisan commitment to elevating public conversation around important contemporary issues.
- The Digital Communications Specialist will play a crucial role in the Communications Department’s development and implementation of communications and marketing strategies, including public relations, brand management, event publicity, community engagement efforts, and digital/social media campaigns. This position will assist in the integration of the communications needs of the Institute’s various initiatives, including its four core programs: the Speaker Series, Fellows Program, Civic Engagement Program, and Career Development Program. The position requires a knowledge of and passion for communications and marketing, complemented by a robust interest in politics (local, national and international), and an ability to build relationships across diverse constituencies and communities. This position reports to the Institute’s Communications Director.
- Works with the Communications Director and other Institute leadership in the development and execution of an organization-wide communications and marketing plan
- Plays key role in content, design and management of Institute website
- Handles organization of Institute contact database and produces twice-weekly Institute email newsletters, among other audience outreach
- Supports the development and production of marketing and communications materials for various initiatives
- Assists in social media outreach and on larger projects such as website features and board presentations
- Assists in media relations and Speaker Series event coverage and staffing
- Assists in strategic engagement with students, alumni, partners and community members
- Assists in IOP data gathering project, including data management and analysis
- Assists in building new IOP alumni network, including lead role in alumni engagement
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills including the ability to meet external and internal deadlines is required
- Knowledge of communications best practices including website development, social media, data maintenance, and email marketing
- Excellent communications skills required for the effective delivery of the Institute's vision, mission and brand
- Knowledge of web and other digital applications is required
- Experience in production of marketing and communication materials; website coding and graphic design experience preferred
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office as well as social media and CMS/CRM tools
- Ability to meet tight external and internal deadlines
- Entrepreneurial, creative thinking about how to improve the Institute’s communications and outreach efforts
- Knowledge of and passion for politics and igniting in young people a similar passion
- Proven ability to be a valuable part of a team
Education, Experience and Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in journalism, public relations, marketing, English or related field
- 2-5 years experience required
- Experience in Communications or related field preferred
NOTE: When applying, all required documents MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application.
Depends on Qualification
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
- Posted 18 Days Ago
- Full time